Treat Yo Shelf:
June Monthly Recap
Welcome to my monthly recap post, in which I fangirl over the books I read this month, bookish items I acquired, book events I attended, bookish news, and/or subscription boxes I received in the month of June.
What did I read?
It was another slow reading month for me. Sorry, guys.
What books did I buy?
I was on a “Book Buying Ban” this month, but I did purchase one book, Autofocus, because I wanted the awesome swag that came with the pre-order.
What books did I receive from Publishers/Authors to review?
- Autofocus by Lauren Gibaldi from HarperCollins/HarperTeen (Hardcover & e-ARC)
- We Own the Night by Ashley Poston from Bloomsbury USA Children’s Books (e-ARC)
What books did I receive from friends/fellow bloggers?
- The King Slayer by Virginia Boecker (ARC)
- The Rose and the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh (signed Hardcopy)
June’s Uppercase Box
June’s BOOM!BOX from Espionage Cosmetics
Bookish Swag I bought or received from Authors/Publishers/Bookstores/Bloggers
- Being part of my niece’s wedding and reading a Neil Gaiman poem during the ceremony.
- Bringing back my favorite Summer drink: Starbuck’s Green Tea Frappuccino
- Participating in the Irish Banana’s blog tour for Autofocus. I had so much fun taking pictures themed around my review for the book. Plus, I adored the book.
Have you heard? Bookish News
- My book buying ban wasn’t too successful, since I bought one book. But hey, it’s the little steps, right? HAHAHA!
- Sarah J. Maas and Emery Lord are coming to Joseph Beth Booksellers on September 15, 2016 in Crestview Hills, Kentucky. Check out the event details HERE!
- Decatur Book Festival author line-up is now live! Check out their site HERE
- YallFest author line-up is live! Check out the list HERE!
- I have three bookish giveaways posted on my Twitter account. See information and rules below:
Retweet and Follow to win (US only). Click on the picture to link to each Twitter post giveaway:
SUMMER GIVEAWAY #1 (ends July 8, 2016 at midnight):
SUMMER GIVEAWAY #2 (ends July 8, 2016 at midnight):
GIVEAWAY #3 (ends July 8, 2016 at midnight):
This contest is supposed to end July 1, but I will be extending the contest for my blog followers. Enter to win PRESS BACK tattoos inspired by Kristen Simmons’ Metaltown.
How did you treat your shelves in June? What books did you buy? What books did you read and would highly recommend?
Thank you for stopping by. Happy Reading!
“If It’s Not A Rant, It’s A Rave” is a new feature on my blog, in which I “RAVE” about awesome conventions, book events, and/or author signings that I have attend.
MEETING RICK YANCEY
On June 1, 2016 I met Rick Yancey, the author of the The 5th Wave series, at Joseph Beth Booksellers in Cincinnati, Ohio. I love this series, and I HAD to meet Rick again. I’m not a big picture taker, but I tried to take as many pictures as I could without looking like a creeper. And by the way, Rick Yancey is hilarious in person. He has the greatest stories and answers to audience questions.
I have met Rick Yancey in the past, so I already had the first two books of the series signed, but nothing and no one was going to stop me from getting my pre-ordered copy of The Last Star from being signed (HAHAHA!).
It’s not everyday you meet an author who has a character with your name.
A few highlights from Rick Yancey at the event…
- If he could be any character is The 5th Wave series he would be Bear or Cassie.
- Ben was supposed to die in the first book, but he was told that Ben is “too cute” to be killed off. So Rick tried to kill off Ben in the second book, but once again, Ben was “too cute” to be killed off. HAHAHAHA!!!
- If Cassie was sorted into a Hogwarts House, she would be Gryffindor.
- Rick Yancey is Slytherin.
- In regards to the movie adaption, Rick was not a big fan of the party scene. “Cassie would not be at a party. She would be at home and reading a book.”
If you haven’t read The 5th Wave series yet, I highly recommend that you do. You won’t be disappointed. I have not read The Last Star yet, but I’m prepared to be wowed, awed, and heartbroken (I was warned).
It’s Top 5 Thursday, where as the week is winding down, I tell you the Top 5 Things I’m looking forward to in regards to the bookish world.
In the next few weeks, I am attending ALL the YA book events my local bookstore has scheduled. I love Joseph Beth Booksellers in Cincinnati, and HOLY MOLY they are kicking up their game this year. HERE JOBE, TAKE ALL MY MONEY!!!
I can’t keep up with all of this awesomeness. So this is why everyone in the bookish community has a planner, right? MY BOOKSTORE IS THE GREATEST!!
Top 5 Upcoming Book Events at Joseph Beth Booksellers in Cincinnati
- Emily Henry’s The Love that Split the World on January 28, 2016 at 7:00 p.m.
- Ally Carter’s See How They Run on January 29, 2015 at 7:00 p.m.
- Kiera Cass’s The Siren on February 1, 2016 at 7:00 p.m.
- Melissa Lander’s Starflight on February 6, 2016 at 2:00 p.m.
- Marissa Meyer’s Stars Above on February 7, 2016 at 3:00 p.m. (this is a ticketed event)
And as a rewards member of Joseph Beth, I have already bought my VIP tickets to Marissa Meyers’ event, and I’m ready to join all the Lunartics!!!
For more information on the Joseph Beth Booksellers in Cincinnati and their events, please click HERE.
Will you be attending any of these events? What local book event are you looking forward to?