TOP TEN TUESDAY
HOSTED by The Broke and the Bookish
This week’s topic is…
Top Ten Bookworm Delights
- BOOK MAIL: Whenever I receive bookish mail, either it be books I ordered or a book I won, I get super excited. There is no better feeling than opening up a pre-ordered book, a subscription box, a surprise bookish gift from a friend, or a giveaway win.
- NETGALLEY APPROVAL: So much happiness happens inside my brain and heart whenever I receive an email from Netgalley and they tell me that the publisher has approved my request. THANK YOU PUBLISHERS/AUTHORS FOR GIVING ME THE CHANCE TO READ AND REVIEW YOUR BOOKS!!!!
- BOOKISH FRIENDS: As an introvert, it is hard to connect with people, especially if crowds exhaust you. But over the last few years, I have been very thankful to grad school, local book events, YallFest, Decatur Book Fest, Southern Kentucky Book Festival, Twitter, #OTSPSecretSister, and book club. All of these bookish outlets have connected me to great, lifelong friends.
- READING A 5-STAR BOOK: I love and covet that sensation in finding that one book that gives me that HOLY-MOLY-THIS-BOOK-IS-FREAKIN’-AMAZING feeling. Or even that book that saves me from my month-long reading slump! Reading a book and rating it 5-out-5 stars might be rare for me, but that book definitely becomes a treasure and possibly a reread to save me from a reading slump.
- AUTHOR INTERACTION: Talking to authors online or even in-person at a book event is the most rewarding feeling in the bookish community. I get incredibly ecstatic and thankful when I find out that one of my favorite authors is visiting one of my local bookstores AND I am able to meet them.
- DISCOVERING A BOOK-THEMED ETSY STORE: I know I have an obsession with buying books, but I also have an obsession with buying book-themed items from Etsy stores, especially candles. GIVE ME ALL THE BOOKISH ITEMS!!!
- GETTING A BOOK SIGNED: I have a problem. I love buying books, but more importantly, I love meeting authors and getting my books signed. I have over 350 books signed, and I love that each signature has a great memory along with it.
- PRE-ORDER INCENTIVES: I’ve already established that I buy A LOT of books, and sometimes authors or the publishers like to add incentives (book swag, posters, autographed nameplates, etc.). I am a sucker for those incentives!
- ORGANIZING BOOKS: I buy between 10 to 20 books a month, so whenever I get my bookshelves organized, it is an incredible sense of accomplishment and relief to have organization in my life. Plus the beauty of all my books lined up in their right place is pure happiness for me.
- DISCOVERING A NEW BOOK: I will admit it, I am one of those people who will buy a book based on its cover. Magical realism books are an “instant” buy for me, and so are books with “queen” or “crown” in the title. If the cover is beautiful or it displays my favorite key words, then I WANT IT NOW! So whenever someone tweets, instagrams, or adds a book to their Goodreads and it shows up on my feed, I get incredibly happy to add it to my own “to-read” Goodreads shelf!
What are some of your bookworm delights?