25 BOOKISH HABITS
Last week I posted a blog that listed 25 Facts about myself. Well today, I decided to give you all the inside scoop on 25 of my bookish habits. HERE WE GO!
- Once I start reading, I’m in a zone and nothing distracts me. I can read in the car. I can read with the TV on. I can read with the radio on. I can read while conversations are going on all around me. I can read anywhere!
- I am hardcore TEAM HARDCOVER. I honestly want nothing but hardcover books taking up room on my bookshelves.
- I’m not a big fan of owning paperbacks, especially mass market paperbacks.
- However, I do prefer reading paperbacks, because they are lightweight and easy to handle. I know, I’m a weirdo!
- If I read a hardback novel, I have to take the dust jacket off first. I have lost many dust jackets due to this habit.
- I like to read New Adult and Paranormal Romance books on my Kindle app versus reading a physical copy.
- I have a slight addiction to owning German editions of my favorite books.
- Over 50% of the books I own are signed.
- 99.9% of the time I have a book in my possession.
- I use a book tote bag as a purse. So not only do I have my essentials, like wallet, lipbalm, etc., in my purse/tote bag, but I also carry along at least one book (sometimes two).
- I keep a copy of The Catcher in the Rye in my glove compartment of my car.
- I organize my books alphabetically by the author’s last name.
- The only exception to my alphabetical organization is that I have whole shelves dedicated to my Jane Eyre collection, Harry Potter collection, A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) collection, Marie Rutkoski’s The Winner’s series, and my Leigh Bardugo collection.
- Last year I started a To-Be-Read shelf on one of my bookcases, but it turned into a TBR bookcase.
- I’m an interactive reader. I write and highlight in my books, and I even add post-its/stickynotes to flag important passages.
- I don’t mind reading secondhand books that are marked up or highlighted.
- If I am unable to highlight, mark, or flag my favorite passages, I will dog-ear the pages. I DON’T CARE IF IT BENDS THE PAGE!
- I don’t have a specific place where I like to read.
- I read every day, but I do a majority of my reading (90% of the time) on weekends.
- If I’m not going through a reading slump, I can read 2 to 4 books a weekend.
- I have to read chapter by chapter. I cannot bookmark at some random page to save my spot.
- I’m not a big fan of audio books. I feel like audio books take away from my interactive reading skills; how the hell do people highlight or note their favorite quotes/passages with audio books?
- I am a mood reader, and I often go on genre binges.
- I don’t really have a snack or drink preference when I read.
- Sometimes I will go to the last chapter and see how the book ends while I’m in the middle of the book. I usually do this with books I’m thinking about not finishing. The process of reading the last chapter, determines if the book is a DNF for me. I really hate not finishing books, though.
What are some of your own bookish habits? Have you ever observed odd bookish habits from your fellow book friends? If so, what were they?